The staff have been working overtime to get everything ready for our students return to school next week! Here are some first week of school and re-opening information. We can’t wait to see you next week!
First Week of School and Re-Opening Information
Staggered Entry Dates
Junior Kindergarten (Year 1) and Senior Kindergarten (Year 2) Students
- If your child is in JK (Year 1) or SK (Year 2) of kindergarten, they will not be attending on the first day of school (September 8th).
- SK (Year 2) students start school on Wednesday, September 9th and continue to come to school thereafter.
- JK (Year 1) have pre-arranged appointments on Tuesday, September 8th which were set up with your child’s classroom teacher.
- Half of the JK (Year 1) students come for their first day of school on Thursday, September 10th, as informed by the classroom teacher, and that is the only day they come to school that week.
- The other half of the JK (Year 1) students come for their first day on Friday, September 11th, as informed by the classroom teacher. This is the only day they come to school that week.
- All JK and SK students will be together for the first time on Monday, September 14th.
Grade 1 and 2 Students – Start Tuesday, September 8th
- Grade 1 and 2 students come on the first day of school on Tuesday, September 8th, and continue coming each day thereafter.
Grade 3 and 4 Students – Start Wednesday, September 9th
- Grade 3 and 4 students come on the first day of school on Wednesday, September 9th, and continue coming each day thereafter.
Grade 5 and 6 Students – Start Thursday, September 10th
- Grade 5 and 6 students come on the first day of school on Thursday, September 10th, and continue coming each day thereafter.
Grade 7 and 8 Students – Start Friday, September 11th
- Grade 7 and 8 students come on the first day of school on Friday, September 11th, and continue coming each day thereafter.
On Monday, September 14th, all the students will be at school.
Our bell times have not changed. They continue to be 8:20 am start and 2:50 pm dismissal.
Morning Yard Supervision
- Morning Yard Supervision begins at 8:05 am so please do not send children to school prior to that time.
First Day of School and Thereafter
- Once at school, students will be expected and instructed to line up at their appropriate teacher cone to avoid congregating.
- On the first day of school for each grade, parents are being asked to please not congregate and not come onto the blacktop or past the gates at the parking lot side.
- We will have many staff members on the blacktop directing students to their teachers.
- Parents are to supervise their children until the bell rings at 8:20 am.
- The kindergarten educators will direct the students as to their entry process.
- Students who take the bus will be brought around by the educators to their entry door and into the building.
- The kindergarten entrance is located at the back of the school near the Owl Daycare area.
- All bus information and inquiries are to be directed to the bus company at https://www.stswr.ca/.
- Students will need to be physically distanced in bus lines and wear their masks on the bus.
- The bus company has created bus seating plans independent from the school so those inquiries should go to the bus company.
- If you choose to not have your child ride the bus, a “Do Not Ride Form” needs to be completed and is found at the above website.
- Students not eligible for bussing are encouraged to walk or ride their bike to school.
- If it is absolutely necessary for you to drive your child(ren) to school, we ask that you park on a neighbouring street and walk to the school, maintaining distance from others. We have busses that drop-off students as well as Owl Daycare families, so the parking lot is not available for drop-off.
Daily Self-Assessment for Students and Staff
- All students and staff are required to take the COVID-19 self-assessment daily before coming to school. The link is conveniently located on the home page of our school website at https://sjp.wcdsb.ca/.
- If your child has any cold or flu-like symptoms, please do not send them or their sibling(s) to school.
- If your child presents symptoms during the school day, s/he will be sent to the office into our Health Room, and parents will be called to pick up their child immediately. Sibling(s) may be sent home at this time also.
- Please provide us with another contact person if you are not able to come immediately.
- Parents are then encouraged to contact Public Health, have their child tested and follow Public Health direction.
- Students are not allowed back to school until they have a negative test result and do not display flu-like symptoms for at least 24 hours.
- If your child has a positive result, please notify the school immediately so we can initiate our contact tracing protocols.
Recess and Physical Education
- Students will be separated by different recess times—Primary students have separate recesses then the Junior and Intermediate students.
- During their recess, the students will be separated by “zones” in open spaces of the yard and encouraged to stay 2 metres apart.
- Students will not be allowed to bring toys/balls/items from home to use outside as we cannot properly sanitize them between uses.
- The playground is closed until permission is granted from Public Health.
- Students will be heading outside for recesses if there is light rain so you may wish to send appropriate clothing.
- Masks will be kept in the classroom during recesses and physical education, on the students’ desks, preferably in a Ziploc bag or paper bag from home, or face down on a paper towel. The students will be physically distanced while going out for recess and coming in from recess.
- Change Rooms are closed, and students will not be permitted to change into phys-ed clothes.
- There are restrictions on the types of equipment used during physical education classes.
- Athletic programs (sport teams, intramurals) have been put on hold.
- Physical Distancing (1m apart with masks indoor, 2m apart outside)
- Handwashing will be scheduled for classes throughout the day.
- Hand sanitizer is available in the classroom and throughout the school. You may choose to send a travel size bottle of unscented sanitizer with your child and/or sanitizing wipes for their own personal use only.
- Masks are mandatory for all students from JK to Grade 8. There are some resources available for parents around mask under the “Resources” tab at https://sjp.wcdsb.ca/. Reasonable exceptions will apply.
- Classrooms are set up with students’ desks 1m apart and facing forward as much as possible.
- Drinking fountains are closed. Water bottle filling stations are open.
- Signage has been placed around the school to remind students of our new protocols.
- Students will wipe down Chromebooks before and after use. Students are encouraged to bring their devices if possible.
- Students will eat lunch at their own desks and will be responsible for cleaning their desks after they eat (except for our younger learners).
- Home/School Communication will take place digitally so please make sure the school has the most current email address and please signup for Newswire at https://sjp.wcdsb.ca/.
- Learning kits have been provided for all students to avoid the sharing of supplies.
- All Hot Lunch orders have been put on hold.
- Staff will review all safety protocols with students.
- Cleaning/sanitizing of the school will be enhanced throughout the day (i.e., washrooms, frequently touched surfaces).
- Boomerang Lunches—all food waste, recyclables, wrappers, etc. will be sent home each day as compost bins and blue bins have been removed. You may wish to send an extra Ziploc bag in your child’s lunch for their food waste to minimize the mess in their lunch bags.
Extended Day and Daycare Students
- Students will be spending about an hour outside after school as the rooms get cleaned for the Extended Day and Daycare program.
- Students are encouraged to have appropriate clothing should it be cool or if there is a comfortable rainfall.
- Any questions, please visit the board website at https://www.wcdsb.ca/plan-for-re-opening-schools/ for the most up-to-date information.
- Visit https://sjp.wcdsb.ca/ for resources.